Thursday, August 16, 2007

It hit me like a ton of bricks...

I started reading "Spiritual Leadership," by J. Oswald Sanders for a class I am taking this fall at RTS and right out of the gate I was convicted by something he said. While explaining the characteristics of the Servant of God referred to in Isaiah 42:1-4 he notes in regard to verse 4 that, "Pessimism and leadership are at opposite ends of life's attitudes. Hope and optimism are essential qualities for the servant of God who battles with the powers of darkness over the souls of men and women. God's ideal servant is optimistic until every part of God's work is done" (p. 25).

I have to confess that I just might be one of the most pessimistic people in the world. I do a pretty good job of hiding it from others, but inside I am always expecting the worse. I find it all too easy in most situations to jump to ultimately wrong conclusions and thereby lose heart and become discouraged. People who love me very much have pointed it out in my life but usually I dismiss it by saying that I am not pessimistic but rather a "realist". I don't think I have been fooling anyone.

Surely it takes an outpouring of grace for me to overcome my pessimism and at times I am strangely awed that I haven't reverted to it more often. Praise God for his Spirit that indwells us and leads us into righteousness. After shining the light on this character flaw of mine, I now pray for the transformation of heart and strength needed to overcome it. I'll begin by being optimistic that it will indeed come about.

~Dan

2 comments:

Bill Greiner said...

Dan,

I pray the following is of some benefit.

We try in vain. Over and over, as humans living on the earth we try to "do it" ourselves and not lean 100% on God. Jesus was crucified and even buried but we couldn't keep Him in the grave. If that is a true fact, what's to keep you and others, from being the best? Why wouldn't we want to live expectantly? Knowing whatever we do is in vain without God. Three weeks ago I was told my dad wouldn't be alive by morning, to prepare for the worst. I (we) prayed for the Lord's will and believed for the best. My dad came home today.

You are a man of God so God has your back and the Bible gives us so many great verses; Matthew 19:26 says in part, "...with God all things are possible." Phil 2:13 says in part that God is working for you." I know you know these verses and more. I could write verse after verse but you can believe. You're a brother in God and I encourage you to live expectantly, knowing God loves you so much He is going to prosper you, allow you to reach higher than you could go on your own.

Lastly, I lean on Psalms 51, it's a great prayer to God over our short comings. Live expectantly knowing God wants the best for you!!!!!

Father, Spirit, Jesus,
Bill

Dan Layman said...

Thanks for the kind words, Bill.