Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Silliest Man I Ever Knew...

Howard K Smith (10/25/23- 7/5/07)

As we were at the funeral home on Saturday, standing in the room where the shell of my Grandfather was resting I got this eery feeling. It was too quiet. I looked at my brother and asked if we had to stay in that room. It was the first time in my life that I had ever been in a room with my grandfather and joking, laughing, and general leg pulling had not ensued almost immediately.
You see my grandfather was the best of leg pullers and teasers. He used to say that he wanted to die when he was 101 years old, being shot by a jealous husband! The Lord chose not to give him that desire of his heart, but God did give him a very rich life of 83 years. And I am blessed that I get to call myself his granddaughter. I truly believe that at least half of my own tendency to tease and be somewhat playful myself comes from him.
At the visitation, many shared what a good and fair business man he was and what a perfectionist he was at his job~ each paint job matched perfectly (he owned/operate
d a body shop). Some commented on his love of family and his wife. My grandfather was always quick to state that he and Grandma Dot had never had a fight! As a matter of fact, he was so happy after his first month of marrying her that he sent her a rose on the 7th of the next month and then the next, and the next..... It continued for over 25 years. He went so far as to make arrangements that if something were to happen to him that my grandmother would receive them for a year after his death. She precedes him in death by about 2 years. I know that the flower shop misses my grandfather. He was one of those people whose laughter and smile were contagious.
One of my favo
rite memories ( and I have many) is when I asked my grandfather to teach me how to clean a fish (I was about 8-10). You see, he loved to fish and hunt. He even had a pond in his backyard, and yes I did attempt to fish a few times. Anyway, one day I asked him to teach me how to clean one. His response~ you've got to catch one first. And I did. I don't remember what type it was, but it was puny and about 6" in length. He asked if I was sure that I wanted to try because the poor fish really wasn't much. But I was adamant, I would learn. He took me into the garage and pulled out a large mallet/hammer and instructed me to strike his head. With all the power of my age, and not to mention my girlish strength, I gently tapped him on the head. My grandfather looked at me with his eyes of disbelief and stated something like~ "Girl, you've just given that fish the worst headache that he's ever had!" He then, with one swift blow to the fishes head, showed me the correct method. I was amazed! Let's just say that this brief moment set the tone for the rest of the lesson and to this day I do not know how to clean a fish by myself, but I am able and do put my own worms on fishing hooks!
I could go on about little moments, but I wanted to share just a piece of the silliest man I ever knew. He had a strong sense of right and wrong, could hold a grudge, but was always just as forgiving and gentle. He was not perfect, but he did love his family well. And at the end of day there are only two things that matter~ Do you love God and find forgiveness through his Son, and did your life reflect that? My grandfather has found a resounding yes on both parts.

~Megan

2 comments:

Kara said...

Praying for you guys!

Joshua Stockment said...

That was great Megan, I'm glad you have some great memories with him, but even more thankful that you are able to say that he was a man who loved God.