Friday, January 4, 2008

Half way there...

I reached a personal milestone this past December and it wasn't 3 months without a blog post. Rather, it was the halfway mark of my race to the finish line of seminary. One and a half years down, one and a half to go. Part of me feels as if this journey has flown by faster than Sanjaya's singing career; the other part feels as if it has progressed as slow as the Miami Dolphin's winning percentage. (I must get some points for those comparisons, right?) But, either way, I can stand here and definitely say I haven't made it this far on my own strength alone. God has definitely carried me along.

The question I get asked the most by people about seminary is, "What have you learned?" Surely no one really wants the complete answer to that question and it is nearly impossible to reduce down to one sentence. The best answer I can ever seem to come up with is that, "I cannot do it on my own." A simple, yet profound answer.

But I have learned some interesting things. I now know what a 'jot' and 'tittle' are and I can put the Pauline epistles in chronological order. I also know what an amaenuensis is and how papal authority developed in the early church. I've learned two more alphabets and I finally know the difference between modernism and postmodernism. I have also learned the art of making awesome memory clues for cramming for tests.

Even more - I think I know Jesus a little better too!

No comments: