Monday, April 21, 2008

Ocean refreshment...

This past weekend was absolutely delightful!!!! I had an absolutely wonderful 29th birthday and I cannot wait to see what this next year will bring. Originally, I had asked for a bowling birthday party! Yes, I love to bowl and I hardly ever do it anymore. Dan had agreed to throw such a party (I have such a great husband), but then I had the opportunity to go on a women's retreat at Emerald Isle with our church in Apex, NC. As much as I desired a bowling party, the opportunity to go and spend 2 days at the beach with all my friends was something I could not pass up!!!

The retreat's theme was Seeing and Savoring Jesus (loosely based on the book written by John Piper). I actually spoke on Saturday morning regarding Christ's joy and the joy that he gives to us.....even in the midst of disappointment. The talk went well. All glory to God and my thankfulness to him. The other two talks were equally encouraging and challenging. After each teaching time, we spend about 45 minutes to 1 hour in a discussion group and I LOVED my group. I got to know several ladies much better and am so blessed by their sharing, honesty, laughter and wisdom. God's church is such a sweet, sweet thing.

The beach house that we stayed in was absolutely lovely! The first night, I arrived after the sun had set, but I was able to set on the porch and just listen to the ocean. The second afternoon I spent just a couple hours laying in the sun and enjoying God's powerful creation. Then a couple of my friends and I did some exploring and found a little, tacky, antique shop.... Emily got a lovely oar and I managed to find a lovely tea cup, saucer and dessert plate to add to my collection! Happy Birthday to me!!!!! As the finale for my 29th birthday, my darling, thoughtful husband had arranged to surprised me with an actually birthday cake! Yes, he did have some accomplices (Karen and Matt) , but still it was such a special thing for them all to do. It was an absolutely wonderful day... even if there was no bowling! I would not have traded it for anything.

I rode back to Apex on Sunday morning with the ladies and then Dan and I drove on to Charlotte.... I must say that I was absolutely exhausted and I totally went to bed shortly after getting home and did not get out of bed until about 9 am this morning. Soooo now back to reality. I've already started the laundry and have some light house keeping to take care of as well as some grocery shopping to do. But I am doing so with a song in my heart, and a spring in my step....the joy of the Lord is overflowing....

2 comments:

Shel said...

Happy birthday!!!! I hope you got the phone message from Shawn!

Megan Layman said...

Shelly~ i did get his message~ both of them:-) i will be home Thursday night if he want'ss to try then! Thanks for the wishes.