Monday, May 5, 2008

Goodbye to an old and faithful friend......

I'm sure that we all have that one thing that our significant other hates in our wardrobe. You all know what I am talking about. That piece of clothing that you've had forever and when you put it on it just makes you feel better. As a matter of fact, in your opinion it probably goes with everything and your spouse would simply like to burn it...

Well, my beloved piece of clothing is my wonderfully worn gray jersey jacket... I think that I have had it since I was 12 or 13. As a matter of fact, my mother and I both bought one...you know gray just goes with everything and you never know when you may want to layer... Anyway, this jacket has seen me through high school, college and even 5 years of marriage.
But alas, my husband hates it... really I know hate is a strong word,but he does. Yes, it is about 2 sizes too big (makes it great to wear over sweaters and sweatshirts), has holes in it, and is not as vibrant as it used to be, but hey, it still works. And why get rid of something that is loved so much. Sure it isn't what it used to be and yes I do have other jackets, many other jackets, but it is always my fall back. Just because I made Dan get rid of ALL of his "camping shirts" when we married isn't a reason for him to pick on my one little or slightly stretched out gray jacket. But alas, marriage is full of compromise and I do love Dan more than that soft, comforting jacket...his hugs are WAY better. So today will be the last of the old jacket...

While shopping this weekend I spotted a new gray jacket... it was actually my size and looked nice with what I was wearing...it has no hood, but hey nothing is perfect! Dan had one condition for the purchase, however: the old one must leave the house. You see, he has bought other jackets, but I always go back to my faithful gray jacket...so, the old is out and the new is in.

I wore the new one today while getting groceries.. I had a few mixed feelings about it. It isn't as comfortable and sort of tight in the arms... (it actually stops at my wrists). But it did look better with the outfit... I sort of looked athletic instead of homeless. Change is good... but it will be hard to say good bye. Maybe it will fit in my box of old purses..that way I won't wear it, but will know where it is :-) (Dan says it definitely won't fit in the box...)

So, we're putting up a poll. Please vote and help us decide whether I should be able to keep the jacket (for sentimental reasons, of course) or not.

5 comments:

- Noah Kiser said...

fyi megan, when i read the title of your post and saw the pics - i got the wrong inpression....

i thought dan was writing a post about saying goodbye to his "spouse" not the jacket featured in the picture [not that you're old - i just focused on "goodbye", "faitful", & a "pic of megan"]... but i read the post so it's all cleared up now.

i say get rid of the old jacket - i'm a pack-rat [or so my wife tells me] so i know the struggle... but in the effort to overcome my "pack-rat-ishness" i am vicariously purging myself of the unneeded items of life through you.... so thanks for that.

Megan Layman said...

Glad that I could help!

Anonymous said...

Yes Megan keep your Jacket.
We will bring it to a safe location for hiding in September.
Dad Layman

Anonymous said...

Keep the Jacket Megan! I'm not giving up my old one! Dad and I will hide it for you along with Dan's stuff that we have here!
Love you and your old jacket.
Mom Layman

Luke said...

I also vote to let it go. I have recently found giving lots of stuff away that I know longer have a good reason to keep a good way of not clinging to things.