Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Coming up roses...

Several years ago, my brother and sister-in-law had given my mother a rose bush for mother's day. As my mother prepared to move from my childhood home and into her new home with her husband she actually uprooted the rose bush and took it with her. At the time, I thought she was a little crazy. I mean it was just a bush, right? Who would want to transport a bush three hours north; and besides, once it got there whose to say that it would take well to the new soil and grow again. Then how would you feel, all of that time and mess for nothing but a dead rose bush. Which, had it been left alone, would have been just fine.

Well, I now find myself in a quandary. Within the first two weeks of living in Charlotte, Dan and my parents purchased and planted a rose bush here. It has grown into a very lovely rose bush. As I type this entry, there are 9 new buds about to bloom. I have enjoyed watching it grow and even how resilient it has been against mold, insects, and a drought. I will look out my living room window and am reminded of my parents and my husband care and love for me. As we think about moving either this fall, winter, and spring, I wonder what to do with my rose bush. My desire is to take it with me. But as mentioned above there are a few logical problems with that solution. Not to mention that I don't even know if I will have a place for it.

It's funny how something as simple as a rose bush can become so sentimental.

No comments: